Monday, October 19, 2009

Rapid Roast Chicken

Cooking a whole chicken is another thing that makes me a little nervous. The whole digging out the gizzards part always makes me gag and the chicken I used in this recipe still had FEATHER on it! A FEATHER!! Plus, I'm always paranoid about the chicken being undercooked, so I end up overcooking it. I decided to try out THIS recipe I found online for a rapid roast chicken but I changed up the seasonings and I cooked it in an oven bag. Cooking it this way was amazing! Dinner was done really quickly and the chicken was juicy and delicious!

Rapid Roast Chicken

1 3 pound chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

Remove all of the guts from the chicken (blech!), but leave the skin on.

In a bowl, mix the seasonings and olive oil. Gently seperate the skin of the chicken from the meat. Rub the seasoning mixture directly on the meat, under the skin.

Place chicken in a baking bag and slice three 1/2 in holes in the top of the bag for ventilation.

Cook in a baking dish at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Lower temperature to 400 degrees and roast for an additional 40 minutes.

I stuffed my bird with stuffing mix before baking and then I removed the skin once the chicken was cooked.

Yum! This recipe has definitely been added into our regular meal rotation!

4 comments:

  1. I roast chicken in the crockpot! I put a couple balls of foil (to lift the chicken off the bottom) and lay the chicken on top. I often stuff it with a lemon or onion and always stuff a mixture of spices and olive oil under the skin. I cook it all day and by the end it literally falls apart!

    I always take off all the meat, dump the bones into a pot of water and make stock.

    It's SO easy and, since I too worry about undercooking, I appreciate how DONE and how moist the meat is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh!! Thanks for that info, Tiffany!! I'm obviously more than a little obsessed with my CrockPot, so I will definitely have to try that out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. i NEED help in the cooking department!!! Im so glad i found your blog! Now following and cannot wait to read more!

    xoxo

    you are so cute!!! You have the best style! Im now following and cannot wait to read more girlie!:)

    xoxo

    http://elisemn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment!